Sunday, July 15, 2012

WK 2 Wimba Session




Unfortunately, I was unable to make it to this previous Wimba session but I did have an opportunity to view the archive. I must say that this session has cleared up some serious confusion with copyright laws. I was under the impression that inventions were protected by copyrights and never knew the need for patents. I think the “Good Copy Bad Copy” gave a great introduction as to how the world views copy write laws and how different individuals abuse copy written material. It really opened my eyes to facts about copyright laws. Since our introduction to “Fair Use” I promise I see that term used everywhere now. Mostly on YouTube because of video shares. I guess they don’t know that using this term is only proactive if they’re sued. I wonder if its possible for individuals who post copy written videos on YouTube to collect funds? That must be why they use the term fair use.  I do have a question about written music that’s copy written though. If I purchase a composition for my ensemble could I make copies of the sheet music or am I breaking the law?  

I am beyond nervous about our leadership project that’s due next week. It seems like this month is moving by at a rapid pace and I can barely keep up! Professor Bustillos did give a great idea on completing our projects that helped ease my nerves some. I will make sure to read several articles from each journal to ensure I follow a similar format. I am on my way not to ask a few classmates if they can view my article since I will not be able to make it to the wimba session next Wednesday. 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for reviewing the archive. Great question about making copies of sheet music. It depends on the license that you bought the copy of the music. Usually if you go to a music store (who does that these days) and buy a copy, you are just buying one copy for your own personal use. You need permission to make additional copies or buy a license that spells out that you can make class copies, for example. Then, as you probably know, you might have to buy additional licensing to perform the music... it can get really complicated. Quite often schools and school districts will buy blanket licenses to cover for these sort of things. But one should never assume that just because you bought a copy of the music or a copy of the sheet music that you have permission to do anything other than enjoy the music in a private setting. Ack.

    ReplyDelete