Sunday, July 29, 2012

WK 4 Leadership Role Model Reflection



When I think of a role model I’m thinking of individuals that helped guide me at a tender young age and molded me into who I am today. These individuals are some of the most influential people I’ve always looked up to who gave the best advice whenever in need. There are several individuals that come to mind who fit the role of being an excellent role model. The one that sticks out the most is Mr. Derrick K. Yates. Mr. Yates is the director of bands for Alabama A&M University. He immediately saw potential in me during my freshmen year to become an outstanding musician and he never stopped pushing me since. Even during my rebellious stage during college, Mr. Yates put his neck on the line never giving up hope on my potential future. After receiving my bachelors in Music Business Mr. Yates immediately assisted in enrolling me into graduate school to earn a master’s in music education. He always looked out for me and pushed me to become the best well rounded individual possible.

Mr. Yates has always been an advocate for doing what’s right for the betterment of his program and institution. Since knowing him, he has always put his program before anything else to ensure its success. The amazing part is that he is the only full time director on staff leading a 250-member marching band, two concert bands, and a brass ensemble. His work ethic is impeccable and it is one that I desire to emulate as I continue to build my program. 

1 comment:

  1. Wow, impressive role model choice. Not only was he able to see and push you towards your potential but he has his hands full running his program. Wonderful balance that we all would want to achieve.

    ReplyDelete